Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Words of the Day


I enjoyed reading and putting the ppt together on this particular chapter..I
liked it that much to share what I had learned from my reading...I was able to connect my chapter highlights on vocabulary to today's events..." planning vocabulary instruction to relate to a child's personal, previous experience,.."

Well, what an eventful week....after a whole month of planning for actually only 2 days of excitement ...I did not make it to class this past Monday evening as I had mentioned....A ribbon cutting ceremony took place today at CDR W.C.McCool Elementary Middle School (PHEW!) with many important people in attendance...Our school was graced with the presence of CDR William McCool's family, our Dept. of Defense School's higher ups, many people in brass uniforms....and other island leaders...and the most important guest was an astronaut from NASA- who had trained with CDR McCool .

Astronaut Dr. Garrett Reisman inspired the students with his experiences as a student. Writing was important to him and remembers writing on that he wanted to be an astronaut in one of his 5th grade writing assignments.

The faculty and staff of McCool were able to visit with our head director- Dr. Shirley Miles from DODEA headquarters- who shared her vision and direction of our school district...In relation to my chapter presentation Chapter 14- Adapting Instruction to Focus on Vocabulary, I picked a couple of "words of the day" from today's visit. Words of the day - "differentiated learning" , congruence, "competent and nice"...

Between the astronaut and Dr. Miles, vocabulary plays an important role in both lectures. As Reisman wrote about what he wanted to be when grew up, he used vocabulary words that were a result of his personal experience of visiting space museums and studying about space.

Dr. Miles chimed off words that left an impression on me and others....to make our teaching styles reflect differentiated learning, to be competent and nice teachers and to have some congruence in our teaching throughout the district...Again, vocabulary plays an important role..After listening to the talk, my vocabulary experience stretched...

I am done for the week...and will see you all on Monday....

3 comments:

mnrivera said...

Lorna,

Thank you for sharing your memorable activities held at CDR W.C. McCool Elementary Middle School. Indeed, your words of the day are meaningful. Let us be mindful of them, and continue to increase our vocabulary to effectively build our schemata.

On another note, be sure to get notes from Kate and Cef, because important notes regarding the QRI were discussed. Next week marks our first assessment session, so prep yourself! After we complete the assessment session, be prepared to also present Chapter 14, especially since you're excited to share some of the activities mentioned there. Good luck!

Best regards,
Dr. Rivera

Ceferino Duarosan, Jr. said...

Hey Lorns! You deserve the week off. Holy moly! You did a lot. Is there a teacher position open so I can skip class just like you? I need to come up with brand new excuses so I can be deliquent just like last semester.

Kate Pappano said...

What an exciting moment Lorna! My son liked the slide show on space. I wish the parents were able to attend, that would have been interesting to see!

I can't wait to hear more about it!